Monthly Archives: May 2015

Care and Maintenance of a Beachy Barn

Congratulations! You’ve just purchased a new Beachy Barn.

Your building is not like a car that needs oil and filter changed every 3000 miles and a timing belt at 100,000 miles.

However, there are just a few bits of advice that will help your building to live a long happy life.

1. Painting.  If your barn came unpainted, you should paint it as soon as possible. You will want to use a good quality exterior paint. We do not recommend using the cheapest paint because, while it will save some money in the short term, a good quality paint will last longer and apply much better. When painting, pay special attention to the bottom edge of the siding. When we paint buildings in our shop, we spray up from the bottom to make sure the bottom edge of the siding is protected. Also, before you paint, it is a good idea to caulk the top edges of horizontal trim pieces. Over time, water can get behind the trim and start to rot.

2. Vegetation. You will want to keep the grass and weeds away from the building. If vegetation grows up against the building, it can keep the siding damp and, over time, mildew, mold or rotting could start.

That is about it.

In an age where everything seems to be disposable, we built your Beachy Barn to last for decades with as little fuss as possible.



This entry was posted on by Shannon Martin.

Zoning and permits for small buildings.

building permit

With nearly every customer we work with, we discuss zoning and building permits. Like many things, the answer to the question “Do I need a permit for my building?” is. “It depends.”
We work in many counties and townships in and around Central Ohio. As much as we wish there would be one blanket answer about permits, that is not the case.
However, there are some basic guidelines that hold true in most areas.

1. Most areas require a zoning permit for all buildings or all buildings over a certain size. A zoning permit is normally issued by your township or city. The main information they will need is where you are placing the building on your lot. These permits tend to be easy to get. Often the permit will be issued the same day.

2. Generally, buildings over 200 square feet need to have a building permit. Building permits are usually issued by the county. Where a zoning permit is concerned with where the building is going on your lot, the building permit is dealing with how the building is constructed. We can provide drawings and information that you can take to the county to apply for the building permit.

These are just a couple of guidelines and each area is different. If you want to discuss your situation specially, give us a call.
The bottom line is that, in some cases, permits are needed, but it is not a difficult process. And while we cannot get the permit for you, we can guide you through the process.

This entry was posted on by Shannon Martin.